[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD 5.2
 Date:  Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:57:11 +1000
Hi All,

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 14:38, Phill R Kenoyer wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2004, at 10:54 AM, Manuel Kasper wrote:
> > Personally, I'd recommend using a separate, dedicated access point
> > where possible. It's easier, faster and probably more reliable (and
> > sometimes even cheaper).
> >
> > - Manuel
>
> I do agree that adding a external AP would be better.  The problem is
> that there aren't any good AP's that are less than $1000.  I've tried
> many AP's and they all seem to lock up at random times requiring a
> power cycles.
>
> This is why I chose to use a small computer that runs in hostAP mode.
> I could have scripts that detect problems and reset the interfaces or
> reboot the system.  m0n0wall seems very good at this.  I can still
> access the remote AP's even if something goes haywire with the radios.
>
> I used to use Linux, but it would just crash all together if something
> went wrong.  Even the watchdog would not reboot it.  I would have to
> power cycle it to fix it.  FreeBSD on the same hardware does not have
> this problem....as much.
>
> Probably the best solution is to use a real AP and have a timer on it
> to cycle the power every 12 hours.
>
> But in retrospect, I should probably have bought a $1000 AP for my WISP
> as it probably would run better than FreeBSD as a AP.  This Power Save
> Mode has me looking over my shoulder every 10 minutes.

I have a single laptop here that I run in wireless mode (I don't bother
with the onboard 10/100 at the office, unless I'm doing serious network
copying).  I bought a cheap Edimax Wireless AP - model GL2422AP - which
is an 802.11b+ AP - it runs my 802.11b laptop easily, and can also
handle 802.11b+ devices - such as the laptop a colleague has with an
802.11b+ USB dongle on it.

This unit has never crashed on me - not once, not even close.  I'm
rather fortunate, I believe, from the bad reports I seem to get from
owners of all other APs that I hear from.  I have not heard anything
from anyone else who uses one of these units, so from my experience, all
I can do is recommend them.

It has WEP, WPA and Mac filtering as its security options, and may even
provide SSID hiding - I have not bothered looking for that.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/