[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD 5.2
 Date:  Wed, 07 Apr 2004 05:14:59 +0200
Hi Hilton,

Hilton Travis wrote:
> I have a single laptop here that I run in wireless mode (I don't bother
> with the onboard 10/100 at the office, unless I'm doing serious network
> copying).  I bought a cheap Edimax Wireless AP - model GL2422AP - which
> is an 802.11b+ AP - it runs my 802.11b laptop easily, and can also
> handle 802.11b+ devices - such as the laptop a colleague has with an
> 802.11b+ USB dongle on it.
>
> This unit has never crashed on me - not once, not even close.  I'm
> rather fortunate, I believe, from the bad reports I seem to get from
> owners of all other APs that I hear from.  I have not heard anything
> from anyone else who uses one of these units, so from my experience, all
> I can do is recommend them.
>
> It has WEP, WPA and Mac filtering as its security options, and may even
> provide SSID hiding - I have not bothered looking for that.

This sounds like a great AP, and since I'm currently looking into
replacing my wireless card in my m0n0wall box, with an external AP, I
tried to find the model you mention on the Edimax homepage.
Unfortunatly I wasn't able to find a GL2422AP product, nor anything
sounding remotely like it?!?

Do you know if this is because they have discontinued this particular
model, and/or replaced it with some very different products, or am I
simply looking at the wrong Edimax site?!?

Thanks,

Adam.