[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Can i manage my pc by Serial terminals?
 Date:  Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:06:10 +1000
Hi Mitch,

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 16:37, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
> [...]

The main two reasons I can think of are 1. Everyone has a web browser
these days, and 2. The additional time needed to design a new text-based
serial interface could well be put to better use developing the product
in ways that the majority of its users could benefit from.

> Picture this (did this once - MAY be a little out of date, forgive or
> correct minor errors).
>
> Use a serial console to log in and create a user account.

The fewer accounts, the less software, and the fewer services running on
a firewall, the less vulnerable it will be.

> Set that user accounts shell to a script which captures appropriate signals
> if you are paranoid, and opens lynx or linx to the web interface login...
>
> Done.
>
> On re logging in to the new account, the serial console is used for a text
> browser display of the web interface - don't know how ugly it would be, but
> might be functional enough for some.
>
> Did something similar once before for some of my own web management
> scripts - was a long time ago but same principal applies doesn't it?

Yes, the same principle applies, but what's wrong with the nice, clean,
friendly, usable interface that Manuel has already put time and effort
into?

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/