[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <fred dot weston at daytonawan dot com>
 To:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP question?
 Date:  Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:10:26 -0400
Adam Nellemann wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Am I correct in assuming that entering an empty dynamic DHCP address
> range (ie. x.x.x.0 - x.x.x.0) will effectivly prevent the assignment
> of any dynamic IPs, while still allowing the static mappings to be
> assigned as usual?
>
> I'm rather sure it wasn't allowed to assign a zero-range in previous
> (possibly pre-1.0) versions (I run 1.1b1 genericPC), but since this is
> now allowed, I'm hoping the above is the reason. If not, is there any
> other way to achieve such a static-only DHCP server configuration for
> a given interface?
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam.

Adam,

  If you have tried assigning a DHCP scope with 0 available IP addresses
and it accepted it, then I would assume the server would behave the same
way it would if it had a valid pool with no more available addresses
when it gets a DHCP request.  I'd say the only way to know for sure is
to try.

Fred