[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Edimax AP (previously "FreeBSD 5.2")
 Date:  Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:44:21 +1000
Hi Adam,

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 07:38, Adam Nellemann wrote:
> Hi Hilton,
>
> Thanks for the model name update.

NP - I hate the way some companies confudse and befuddle themselves by
simultaneously naming things in a variety of ways.

> Looking once again at the Edimax site, I still don't see your exact
> model, but it's getting warmer! I thus found two products that might
> possibly be their new version(s) of your AP:

Yeah, I just had a look, and it looks like this model is now EOL.

> EW-7207APb - 802.11b Enterprise Wireless LAN Access Point with 802.1x,
> Radius Server, WDS

Well, the 7205AP+ has 256-bit WEP (useless, since Windows XP doesn't
support anything over 128-bit) and also 802.11b+ support (22Mbps).
Aside from this, it looks like an update to my model.  Mine has 2 fixed
antennae, is approximately the size of a ciggy packet on steroids, and I
cannot take the cover off easily since I cannot locate the plastic
catches holding the top on.  I've not played with WDS, but it may be
something that has been added since the AP I have.  Mine can run as an
AP and AP Client, as well as a Bridge.  This unit seems to have an
inbuilt RADIUS server, which may be appropriate for those people wishing
to run a WPA-encrypted WLAN without another RADIUS server available.

> EW-7206APb - 802.11b Wireless LAN Access Point  (AP, AP Client & WDS
> Functions)

This looks like the direct upgrade from mine.  Similar to above, just
without the RADIUS server.

> Any of these sound like comparable products? (Specifically I'd like to
> get confirmation that these are using much the same hardware as your
> AP, as this would indicate that the same level of stability could
> hopefully be expected.)

My unit has a Samsung ARM 7 CPU - these two both have Realtek CPUs.

> Aside from lacking g and/or b+ support, these two both seem to have
> just the features I need, unlike most other APs which tend to have at
> least some "router bloat". I guess I'd want the newer 7207, which seem
> much the same except for WPA and more RAM and ROM space?

Yeah, mine has the same memory stats as the 7206 here.

- HiltonT

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/