[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rick Ruggiero" <rick at scorpion dot co dot th>
 To:  "'Manuel Kasper'" <mk at neon1 dot net>
 Cc:  "'M0n0wall'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Where is the SSID???
 Date:  Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:13:54 +0700
Hi Guys,

I would like to throw my 2 cents in on this discussion as well.  I have
been designing, developing and project managing UNIX software projects
for over 20 years and one thing which I learned very early in my career
was the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

M0n0wall is a great concept and from what I can see does a great
specific job.  One of the biggest issues I have had with software
engineers in general is that we all like to build the "all singing, all
dancing" solution all the time and often lose focus of the original
objective we wanted to achieve.

Keep m0n0wall small, fast and reliable.  This will build more success
for the product; if you want to build a replacement for something like
e-smith; use m0n0wall as a base and take the additional functionality to
a new project which plugs-in on top of m0n0wall.

This way we cause no harm to m0n0wall and people who decide to add the
additional plug-ins do so in a deliberate fashion. I would love to have
additional features added to m0n0wall, but integrating them will effect
everyone (whether they want them or not).

Take this discussion, and lead it to a new project on sourceforge, I
will definitely volunteer my time and effort to the project(s).

Sorry for being so long winded.

Rick Ruggiero

Scorpion Holding Co. Ltd.