[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  Hilton at QuarkAV dot com, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Can i manage my pc by Serial terminals?
 Date:  Wed, 7 Apr 2004 21:34:15 -0700
> The main two reasons I can think of are 1. Everyone has a web browser
> these days, and 2. The additional time needed to design a new text-based
> serial interface could well be put to better use developing the product
> in ways that the majority of its users could benefit from.

Think you are missing the point here... if he HAD a web browser he could use
it - if he's trying to do out of band management (something important to
those of us finicky about high availability, remote access, or recovery from
stupid mistakes).

> The fewer accounts, the less software, and the fewer services running on
> a firewall, the less vulnerable it will be.

Doesn't involve any new services or any changes - I wasn't proposing that...

Getty is run for the console - a serial console with a serial login could
accomplish the same thing, BUT also gives the user "root" access and a
command prompt - replacing the shell with a browser pointing to the already
written web interface is more secure - the addition of a text browser is
admittedly an addition on something trimmed for space like mono though - but
anyway - I wasn't saying he SHOULD do this, only that it MIGHT work.

> Yes, the same principle applies, but what's wrong with the nice, clean,
> friendly, usable interface that Manuel has already put time and effort
> into?

And this uses the existing work - my suggestion simply allows the asker to
do it over a com port.,... which would allow him to have something like a
dial in backup for remote management or serial link to a remotely mounted
box - WHY? I don't know - was just trying to answer the question.

cheers.

m/