[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Rick Ruggiero" <rick at scorpion dot co dot th>
 To:  "'M0n0wall'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] about the load averages: 2.11, 0.07, 0.05
 Date:  Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:24:26 +0700

The load average numbers give the number of jobs in the run queue
(actively being processed)

> - What the number (percentage) indicates, the average
> wait-time in the queue, the average queue length or something
> else entirely?

No, unfortunately you cannot use this number to predict CPU,IO latency,
etc.  Each process has a discrete impact many other system metrics which
does affect overall system performance (and the values being displayed).

> - What is this percentage relative to? (That is, what is
> 100.00%, and can it become higher than that?)

Yes, it is relative to 100%; and no, it does not display greater than
100% (well from my experience at least).

> - And finally, how this "average process queue" percentage
> relates to such things as CPU load, latency and general
> system performance?

This is all dependant on the processes currently in the run queue.  Some
processes may be blocked on I/O which often has a severe impact on this
value.  However, generally speaking (and I am opening myself to abuse
here) any time your process average for 1-5 minutes is over 6, you will
find that process spawning is dramatically affected.

I do not have a magic answer on this, or a formula where you can start
doing transaction prediction modelling.

> Unless one has some idea of the answers to the above
> questions, the numbers have little meaning and will be of
> even less use. If, on the other hand, you know how these
> numbers are arrived at, you could use them, among many
> things, to see if it is time to start looking for faster
> hardware. Also, we might perhaps finally get some
> authoritative statements about how much bandwidth m0n0wall
> can handle on particular platforms (such as the Soekris boards).

I think if you look at my statement above, you may have a glimpse as to
my approach to this question;  If my CPU is regularly demonstrating a
process queue of 6 or greater, I would look seriously into a processor
upgrade, however if my load averages were "load averages: 2.11, 0.07,
0.05", I'd be very happy.

I hope I was a little clearer with this response.

Cheers,

Rick