[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Holger Bauer" <Holger dot Bauer at citec dash ag dot de>
 To:  "Aaron Robinson" <aaron at robinson dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  AW: AW: [m0n0wall] VoIP trough m0n0wall
 Date:  Wed, 7 Apr 2004 08:48:37 +0200
Hi Aaron,

in general you have to ensure, that VoIP-Packets travel as fast as possible
from source to destination. If a packet travels too slow, you get long delays
or crappy communication or the communication gets lost.

As you only can sort the packets you sent out you should
try to take care of the shaping on both sides.
(For Incoming packets you have to teke them the way they are sent to you)

To get VoIP running you can use pipes or queues.

I mainly use pipes:
First have a look at the Traffic Monitor to see how much bandwidth your
VoIP-solution uses (I love this new feature in m0n0wall, as you can do
finetuning with it). The used bandwidth is dependend on the codec that is used.
Then you should know how many calls at a time you want to allow.
Now you can setup 2 Pipes with the following bandwidth:
- [(calls at one time)*(bandwidth used per call)]
- [your whole upstream bandwidth] - [(calls at one time)*(bandwidth used per call)] - [a little
spare bandwidth]
You have to try a bit around to find the optimal settings but this should be good
startingvalues

You also can try using only queues:
Define one VoIP-Queue with a rather heavy weight (90) and another queue for all
the rest with a weight of 20.

To decide which packet is thrown in which pipe/queue you have to find out some
criteria for example all traffic from IP-Adress or all traffic to IP-Adress.
Ensure that only the VoIP-packets meets these criteria. If You use a softclient that
also sents other data the other data should not make in in the VoIP-pipe/queue.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Regards,
Holger Bauer