[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Can i manage my pc by Serial terminals?
 Date:  Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:53:44 +1000
Hi Mitch,

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 14:34, Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
> > The main two reasons I can think of are 1. Everyone has a web browser
> > these days, and 2. The additional time needed to design a new text-based
> > serial interface could well be put to better use developing the product
> > in ways that the majority of its users could benefit from.
> >

> Think you are missing the point here... if he HAD a web browser he could use
> it - if he's trying to do out of band management (something important to
> those of us finicky about high availability, remote access, or recovery from
> stupid mistakes).

Yes, I know aboot OOB Management, and personally, I think it is a handy
thing.  Having a re-think aboot the applications for m0n0wall, I can see
that it has quite a future, and OOB management, while not a huge market
now, could be a much more needed feature in m0n0wall in the future.  In
other words, yes, I can see m0n0wall being used in more and more
corporate networks - it is a really nice firewall.

> > The fewer accounts, the less software, and the fewer services running on
> > a firewall, the less vulnerable it will be.
>
> Doesn't involve any new services or any changes - I wasn't proposing that...
>
> Getty is run for the console - a serial console with a serial login could
> accomplish the same thing, BUT also gives the user "root" access and a
> command prompt - replacing the shell with a browser pointing to the already
> written web interface is more secure - the addition of a text browser is
> admittedly an addition on something trimmed for space like mono though - but
> anyway - I wasn't saying he SHOULD do this, only that it MIGHT work.

Actually, I think that this could become a more frequently asked for
feature in the future, so thinking aboot it now may be well worth it.

> > Yes, the same principle applies, but what's wrong with the nice, clean,
> > friendly, usable interface that Manuel has already put time and effort
> > into?
>
> And this uses the existing work - my suggestion simply allows the asker to
> do it over a com port.,... which would allow him to have something like a
> dial in backup for remote management or serial link to a remotely mounted
> box - WHY? I don't know - was just trying to answer the question.

We were all trying to answer the question.  I've just changed my answer,
that's all.  :)

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/