[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Stefan <chex at localtel dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Stefan <chex at localtel dot com>
 Subject:  some problems with m0n0wall; turn ping on, realtime traffic monitor
 Date:  Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:18:02 -0400 (EDT)
HI:

So I have replaced my carefully configured Linux Router of 5+ years with
m0n0wall, mostly just to get the traffic shaping.  And that has worked
very well.

However, a few things I cannot figure out how to replicate on m0n0wall
that I had on Linux-NAT.

1st: Ping.  You cannot ping my external IP from the real world.  How can I
turn this on?  Other than liking to see what my ping/latency times are
from remote hosts, I also use broadbandreports.com line-monitor services,
and it uses ping to give me results.  I either need to turn it on on m0n0,
or need to figure out how to NAT it to a internal host.

2nd:  etherreal.  I loved having etherreal to watch traffic on my router.
Espically now, I need to figure out what IP and ports my VoIP box is
using, to try to setup up high-priority queueing for those IP-ports.  How
can I watch the traffic flowing across my router in realtime?  ( I dont
think SNMP will work for this.. )

Also, any plans in the works to make the read-write aspect of m0n0wall
write to something a bit faster and less shaky than a 1.44 fdd?  I would
love to see the addition of a USB flash-thumb drive as a read/write
device.

I think the short answer here might be just to setup a full-on Open BSD
box.  I am definitely pushing the boundries of what the designer had in
mind for a simple SOHO-router replacement.

 Thanks,

-- ChEx in Boston