[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Lewis <andrew at coastal dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] USB Network Adaptors
 Date:  Sat, 17 Apr 2004 10:10:57 -0400
Dave C. wrote:
>>It's easy to add the USB support just by recompiling the kernel
>>though.
>

> Unfortunately this isn't exacty the case.
>
> I tried to recompile the kernel recently using the official "mono"
> configuration files, but the kernel sizes and modules size didn't match
> those in the official m0n0 release. Further, trying to use those custom
> compiled kernels in mono resulted in some things not working. For example
> dummynet doesn't work at all and when I enable the shaping it prints an
> error on the console and blocks all packets in and out of the firewall.
>
> It appears that Manuel's kernel includes some patches which are not standard
> in 4.9bsd. I could not find a mention on the patchset used.
>
> Is there a way to get a patch list and/or patch sources so that the kernel
> can be rebuilt? Or perhaps there's a hidden backdoor in there (just
> kidding.... but the kernel and modules that I produces were much smaller
> than the ones from Manuel, hence the doubth).

The irony of getting this message while doing a buildworld for my m0n0
image doesn't escape me.

The core of my point was that USB would be easy to add to m0n0wall if
you had the same build set as what Manuel uses.

That being said, I'm looking at a 128meg net4801 image based on m0n0bsd
and Mauels documentation that boots right up and makes a multiport USB
adapter available.  It's a full binary install of FreeBSD as well as the
added bonus of daemontools.

It can be done, but there's a bit of work in creating the image to
mirror the configuration Manuel uses.