[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  Adam Hirsch <adam at baz dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall users <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall v1.0, Soekris net4511 wireless freezing?
 Date:  Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:05:47 -0500
Adam Hirsch wrote:

>You're using one of the netgate kits in your soekris?  I went and perused
>their site, but most of the mini-pci cards they've got specifically say
>they aren't supported by m0n0wall, worse luck...
>
>I just picked up a soekris 4801 and have been casting about for success
>stories from someone who's put a wireless card into one of the soekris
>cases.  I suppose it would mean drilling a hole in the oh-so-attractive
>case they supply.  :)

I am using an EnGenius card that I purchased in a "Soekris Kit" from
NetGate.  I did at least go that far and look into it some more since my
m0n0wall locked up AGAIN...  No, I am not using a mini-PCI card, and I'm
running a 802.11b EnGenius card in a net4511 kit that has the holes
pre-drilled for the dual antennas.  Everything works fantasticly well
for me.  I do know there are some Soekris kits that do not come with
holes pre-drilled for the antennas.  I think the old net4801 falls into
this category.  I noticed yesterday that a new net4801 is out.  Maybe
the case that comes with that has holes pre-drilled; I don't know for sure.

As far as my own personal problem goes, it turns out through private
conversation with someone else on the list that what is very likely
happening is that I have a client going into power save mode (as someone
else here publicly recollected from another email earlier on the list
and referred me to the archives) and causing the AP to freeze.  This
apparently happens because the client tells the WAP, "I'm going to take
a nap now; hold all packets 'til I get back".  The WAP drivers for
FreeBSD v4 apparently don't deal too well with this kind of situation.

I recently had my W2K laptop flake out on me and I lost my profile.
That's right about the time all this squirrelly stuff started
happening.  When I lost my profile (and ended up with a new one in the
classic Windows "I'm clueless" fashion), my power saving setting for the
wireless card came back on -- I routinely turn power management settings
OFF for reasons like the problems I am having now; my opinion is that
power management does more harm than good usually.

So I'm betting this is the issue.  Some time will tell.  With my power
management on my wireless card turned off, we'll see what happens (or
doesn't happen).

chris
-----
chris olive