[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  iwsnyder at csupomona dot edu
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help with ICMP (ping)
 Date:  Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:58:34 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 iwsnyder at csupomona dot edu wrote:

> I've read the archives, and I cannot find out how to allow ping to pass
> outside the local (LAN) subnet.

Sending pings from a host on LAN to some host on the Internet? That is
allowed by default and should work. Otherwise there's probably something
else in your upstream blocking it.

> Right now I can ping other machines inside the LAN, and I can ping the
> m0n0wall, but I cannot ping websites.  Coming from the WAN, no ICMP echo
> is returned.

Again, you should be able to ping Internet hosts from LAN with the default
rules. m0n0wall will not respond to ICMP echo on WAN, though (for security
reasons).

- Manuel