[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ping Kwong" <kwongp at midtown dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP server slowness problem
 Date:  Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:27:46 -0700
I'm trying to use the built-in PPTP server in release PB15.  My problem
is that I can connect via PPTP 128-bit CHAP v2 on a Windows XP machine
but it is incredibly slow to the point where the connection stops
transmitting data.  My setup at home is through Comcast so I connect
using DHCP.  I noticed that it is one of the upcoming things for Manuel
to do is to have the DNS servers updated automatically.  So I had to
enter in a DNS server before I could start using full domain names
rather than IP addresses.  I have DHCP enabled so the LAN is using NAT.
I setup the firewall rule based on an example in the archive list.

Proto   Source      Port Destination   Port
  *    PPTP clients  *         *        *

At first I didn't have the rule so even though I could connect via PPTP,
I wasn't able to do any browsing or ping the internal LAN machines.

I have DNS forwarder turned on.  I connected via dialup with an ISP that
gave me an external IP address so the block private networks on the WAN
interface shouldn't affect it.

The only other changes I can think of would be changing the LAN
interface to 192.168.9.254

Under the PPTP settings I have
Enable PPTP server
Server address: 192.168.9.25 (I assume that's just some arbitrary IP in
the same subnet)
Remote address: 192.168.9.48
Require 128-bit encryption

Am I missing something here?  I have yet to test using another broadband
connection.