[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael <michael at winterland dot dhs dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  traffic shaping ala wondershaper/linux
 Date:  Thu, 11 Sep 2003 13:04:28 -0700 (PDT)
hello m0n0wall is great, I have it working just like I want it with my dmz and all

the only thing I find that I miss after dumping a pc running linux and replacing it with a
net4501/m0n0wall, is wondershaper

this little script worked wonders literally on my cable isp link, it basically limits your outbound
upload speed by 'just under' your actual capable upload speed, thus moving the upload packet queue
to linux instead of your modem, it auto-prioritized SSH and interactive traffic and TCP ACK packets,
so I could be uploading full speed on p2p networks and still have fast SSH sessions/tunnels from
outside network, or I could be uploading on p2p and still play quake3 with no lag, I could ping
external servers with normal ping times.

with m0n0wall, I upload on p2p and I ping yahoo.com and get 500-800ms instead of 75ms with
linux/wondershaper

so, can someone tell this newbie how i can get that kind of performance with m0n0wall (Freebsd) on
this soekris, as I know it surely can be done!   i would rather not try and use linux on this
soekris