[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Michael <michael at winterland dot dhs dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] traffic shaping ala wondershaper/linux
 Date:  Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:15:28 +0200 (CEST)
Hey Michael,

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Michael wrote:

> this little script worked wonders literally on my cable isp link, it
> basically limits your outbound upload speed by 'just under' your actual
> capable upload speed, thus moving the upload packet queue to linux
> instead of your modem, it auto-prioritized SSH and interactive traffic
> and TCP ACK packets, so I could be uploading full speed on p2p networks
> and still have fast SSH sessions/tunnels from outside network, or I
> could be uploading on p2p and still play quake3 with no lag, I could
> ping external servers with normal ping times.

That sounds interesting... I think FreeBSD's dummynet could do that with
what they call "queues" - multiple queues could be made with varying
weights according to the type of traffic and all linked to one pipe with
that fixed "just under actual upload speed" rate.

If you have some time, I'd appreciate if you could do some experimenting -
you can interface with ipfw via the /exec.php script; the FreeBSD manpage
for ipfw details the usage of pipes and queues. If things work as
expected, I might just enhance that traffic shaper function in m0n0wall a
little bit. :)

- Manuel