[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Wireless WEP issues...
 Date:  Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:26:44 -0500
I have some issues using WEP on m0n0wall (I have a net4511 with a
wireless card inserted running hostap.)  I believe the issues are
complicated due to the config of the cards my clients are using
(Netgear), and some of the issues are simply that I don't have the time
to figure this out.  I did do SOME research using Google, m0n0wall
archives, etc. but I just have to be honest and say I'm pressed for time
and if someone would be kind enough to help out, I'd appreciate it.

To use WEP with m0n0wall, it appears I have to hand-generate the hex
keys (26 hex digits).  That's all fine and good, but my Netgear cards
only allow a WEP passphrase.  I took the 26 hex-digit key generated by
my old Linksys router which was generated by the same passphrase as what
I have in my Netgear card configuration under Windows 2K, and used that
in m0n0wall, but the cards won't talk to m0n0wall with that hex key.  My
take is that some algorythm isn't the same, so the key generated by my
passphrase on the clients isn't matching what's on m0nwall.  I'm not
intimately familiar with exactly how WEP passphrases and keys correlate
or the algorythm behind their generation, so I'm not sure where to go
from here.  On one hand, if they are both 802.11b, I don't see why it
wouldn't work (to use the 26-digit key I know was generated from the
same passphrase my clients have), but on the other hand, my guess is
that something's different and that's why it's not working.  If someone
has a quick answer, that would be great.

If I run m0n0wall without WEP, my clients connect fine (which isn't
unusual in the wireless world).

Chris