[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  reward for captive portal support
 Date:  Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:09:16 -0700
I'd really like to use m0n0wall in more community projects, but the lack of
captive portal support kills it in most instances (at least here in
litigation crazy USA). As the technical skills of the people approaching us
are dropping (a good thing - we're reaching a wider audience), this is
becoming more noticeable and frustrating. We also love the 'one config file'
that m0n0wall provides vs the multiple files needed to configure, say,
pebble, and the inability to easily save those changes.

So...  I'm offering US$100 to anyone who can build the required support and
work with Manuel to add it into the standard release of m0n0wall. Included
in this offer is *another* $100 to Manuel to reflect both the work he's done
to date and the work doubtless involved with integrating even the best made
additions. Its not much, but its $200 out of my own pocket, not some
corporation, that I'd like to give directly to the individuals involved, and
indirectly to the m0n0wall community.

I'm hoping others who also need this functionality will sweeten the pot and
match my offer to make this even more worthwhile for someone (and Manuel).
Email me if you're interested.

More info about the feature set and Manuel's integration requirements are
here:
http://socalfreenet.org/captivewall

More info about the reward and latest value is here:
http://socalfreenet.org/captivewall/reward

I realize this is may be an unorthodox approach to Open Software
development, but I hope you'll react in the spirit in which it is made - an
honest attempt to spur the addition of a useful feature that many will use.

cheers, michael