[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phill R Kenoyer <phill at bmg50 dot com>
 To:  "Barry Murphy" <barry at unix dot co dot nz>
 Cc:  'M0n0Wall' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, 'Chris Olive' <chris at technologEase dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall v1.0, Soekris net4511 wireless freezing?
 Date:  Sat, 24 Apr 2004 20:33:39 -0700
All I've got to say is that FreeBSD nor Linux is good as an Access
Point.  They always have some problem that locks them up.  If it's not
the dreaded "Power Save Mode", then it's something else.

I'm hacking a version of FreeBSD right now to put on my Soekris systems
to work as an Access Point.  If this last attempt to get a stable
Access Point fails, then I'm going to plunk down the $1000 for Cisco
AP's.

I've heard that the latest versions of FreeBSD (5.x) have better HOSTAP
drivers that don't crash.  I'm going to put that together with a watch
dog timer and a few other tools.  The main script that I want is one
that scans the logs files.  If it sees "xmit failed" 20 times in a row
it will take the interface down, then bring it back up. Failing to fix
the problem it will reboot the system.  It will also have a script that
pings random IP addresses that are connected via DHCP, and also ping
the main server.  It will reboot if it fails to ping the server, or
fails to pint one out of five random IP's. (or something like that).

Of course my time is extremely limited due to two jobs and keeping my
wireless network up and running.  When I do get the package done, I'll
let people know about it.

But the only solution to the Wireless AP stuff that I can think of is
moving to the new FreeBSD kernel 5.x (unstable).

Does anyone else have any suggestions for running FreeBSD as a AP?

PS, I'm keeping m0n0wall as my firewall though.