[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] LAN router question
 Date:  Wed, 28 Apr 2004 10:09:37 +1000
Hi Margret,

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 03:06, Margret Treiber wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I am new to this product and I am trying to use it for a slightly
> unconventional purpose.
>
> I am working on a solution to alleviate some of the load off of our
> firewalls.  I want to use monowall and a LAN router, without enabling
> the firewall features.  I am placing it before our existing firewalls,
> and making it route local LAN traffic.  We have 3 /24s and I just want
> to route them so the local traffic never hits out fire walls but the
> outbound traffic goes out to one of our 3 lines.  How can I

First, we need a bit more information about the current setup of your
network...

1. Are these 2 * /24 networks consecutive, or are they non-consecutive
/24 networks?

2. Does your current firewall have multiple interfaces, one per /24
internal network, or does the current firewall perform the routing
between these different networks by using "ipalias" or similar multiple
IP assignment to its one internal interface?

3. Are these three /24 networks needed to separate secure from insecure
traffic, for example to separate accounting, HR and the rest of your
traffic?  If not, I assume that the traffic on any network could/would
be allowable on any of the other networks.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/