[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?iso-8859-1?q?Jose=20Iadicicco?= <joseiadicicco at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: m0n0 - traffic_shaper
 Date:  Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:39:31 -0300 (ART)
Hi Adam!
        I read everything you wrote about shaping, and I understand it, but I think that if I dont
use the incoming traffic shaping, and one of the users of my network opens the kazaa and begins to
download with speeds near the total downstream bandwith, then the others users wouldn´t browse the
internet.
The only way i find to ensure all users can share the bandwidth was using the traffic shaping with
10 Kbytes for each one (downstream) and 4 Kbytes for each one (upstream), and everything works
perfect.
I would like to use a kind of QoS to prioritize the internet browsing before the kazaa and emule,
etc etc. You think another way is possible?

Greetings Adam!!!!!

Jose

 --- Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu> escribió: > Hi Jose,

> [...]
> it may cause inbound traffic to become "lumpy", and (perhaps) in some
> it may do just what you want (ie. cause traffic to be slowed down to
> the limit you have set in the shaper).
>
> Since the latter effect (delaying of ACK packets) can be achieved with
> proper outbound shaping (of small packets, with the ACK flag set), I
> would think that is the better solution, instead of queueing a lot of
> traffic on m0n0wall (especially if you have ANY kind of RAM or CPU
> limitation on the m0n0wall box!)
>
> = = =
>
> As mentioned, if you (or anyone) has good arguments or knowledge that
> contradicts the above, I would much like to know about it (and, so I
> should think, would the rest of the mailinglist!)
>

> Regards,
>
> Adam.
>

> Jose Iadicicco wrote:
> > Hi all you guys! Why you sayed that traffic shapper for inbound
> > traffic doesn´t work? I configured the traffic shaper for inbound
> > traffic and outbound traffic and it works so fine! I limited the
> > downstream to 64 Kbits and the upstream to 32 Kbits and it works
> > okey too. I dont understand you guys. Can you explain me what are
> > you talking about? My internet connection is 512 kbits upstream and
> > 128 kbits downstream (ADSL) and I have 12 computers of different
> > people using Kazaa, Emule, etc etc in each computer, without any
> > control of each computer, but its working okey since 4 months ago
> > when I configured the traffic shaper.
> >
> > Greetings to all you friends!!!!
> >
> > Jose
> >

> > --- Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu> escribió: > > Dennis

> >> Hi Dennis,
> >>
> >> You are of course right, there is (usually) no need to have any
> >> pipes/queues/rules for inbound traffic. Indeed, this will often
> >> make things worse!
> >>
> >> I was rather new to traffic sharing when I wrote the text, and
> >> did so in a hurry due to "popular demand". At the time I thought
> >> I'd soon get around to writing another, more thorough, version,
> >> as well as possibly doing the traffic shaper chapter for the
> >> m0n0wall documentation project. Unfortunatly I've been very busy
> >> ever since, and have thus had no time to do these things :(
> >>
> >> Since then I've myself removed all the inbound rules from my own
> >>  m0n0wall configuration. I guess I should have posted a notice
> >> about this.
> >>
> >> Sorry for the inconvinience this may have caused!
> >>
> >> Hopefully I will soon be able to, at least, post an updated
> >> version of traffic_shaper.txt, with corrections such as the
> >> above, but right now I'm still too busy.
> >>
> >> Adam.

> >> additional commands, e-mail: m0n0wall dash help at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
> >>

> > ===== El objetivo escencial del correr es probar los limites de la
> > voluntad humana...
> >
> > ------------ Los mejores usados y las más tentadoras ofertas de 0km
> > están en Yahoo! Autos. Comprá o vendé tu auto en

=====
El objetivo escencial del correr es probar los limites de la voluntad humana...