[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "pmok" <pmok at optushome dot com dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] I've two DSL connections that I would like to use in my network. Therefore I nedd two WAN on my MONOWALL. How can do this?
 Date:  Sun, 2 May 2004 11:39:32 +1000
You have a 2 options...

(1) Buy a product that already can do this and connect M0n0Wall to
it...search for "Load Balancer" in google.com
If you're in Australia, there's two products from a company called Snapgear.
Their 2 embedded-Linux based routers include this ability to connect to 2
ISPs at the same time. (Its compatible with Telstra or Optus Cable and the
various ADSL ISPs).

Their routers are ICSA ceritified firewalls and have a rather generous set
of VPN features. (Compared to other expensive routers). In all essence, this
product will make M0n0Wall a little redundant...Maybe just buy a "load
balancing/failover" router, and just tack M0n0wall to it. (Just make sure
this type of router works with your ISPs before you buy! Check in various
forums as some people report that some of these routers will have issues
with one ISP but not the other.)

(2) Go here : http://forums.techwatch.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=3626

This is a forum I moderate for. (Its Australian based). This is a post I put
of where you can get all of the easily found "Load Balancing" concepts
around the web. They mainly apply to Linux, but there's a few links to
FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Read up on all these and see what you come up with.
Feel free to share this link around as it is my contribution to the
community (Linux/BSD) who are seeking to implement this feature.

I was thinking of building an OpenBSD-based version of M0n0Wall using
OpenBSD's PF. That already has load balancing features built-in. But sadly,
I don't have the time as I'm in University working hard on my engineering
degree. Maybe some day.

I really wouldn't mind seeing a "Load Balancing and Failover" feature in
M0n0Wall, but its VERY time consuming to implement and debug. (Don't expect
it to double your speed, but it could take advantage of the bandwidth by
distributing it evenly).

Anyway, if you do decide on implementing this feature, good luck. I hope the
links I've gathered in that forum help.

Regards
-Stmok