[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] cf-image
 Date:  Sun, 02 May 2004 15:04:10 +0200
Hi,

fisch wrote:

> I want to use the free space for logging, because I don't have a
> syslog-server running all time.

I have the same problem as I'm currently using my workstation as
syslog server. However, since I'm soon to have a dedicated fileserver,
I plan to do my syslogging on that box in the future.

Ideally I'd like m0n0wall to have some kind of "buffering" for
syslogs, such that it would keep its syslog entries in RAM when the
syslog server isn't available, and then dump these whenever it becomes
available again (having 256Mb RAM in my m0n0wall box, I should think
there would be plenty of room, even if it is days between the syslog
server being online). However, I must assume this would require some
rather laborious changes to the m0n0wall code (possibly requiring the
whole syslog daemon to be rewritten?) and all for a rather unimportant
feature, therefore I don't plan to bother Manuel with such a suggestion.

As others have pointed out, using your CF for syslogging may cause the
CF to fail after some time. But compared to paying for a dedicated
syslog box, you might prefer buying a new CF from time to time
(ideally you should do so before it actually fails, based on some
estimate of how long this will take?)

Alternativly, you could get one of those harddisk (microdrive) based
CF's, which will be expensive, but should last much longer (and
hopefully not as expensive as an entire syslog box).

It might also be possible for you to dump your syslog messages
directly to a printer. I don't think m0n0wall currently has support
for printers, but it might be possible for you to hack you own printer
driver and have a small php script dump the logs as needed?

Perhaps it might even possible to find one of those small printservers
that is also capable of recieving syslog messages (I know mine will
send syslogs, but I'm not sure it will recieve them as well?)

Well, just my 2 cents.

Adam.