[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dave C." <mono at comm dot it>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Howto: configure adsl bridge + m0n0 on 1483 routed protocol
 Date:  Mon, 3 May 2004 16:27:04 +0200
Hi,

I'm trying to configure an ADSL router so that it acts as a transparent
"bridge" between the ADSL line and the WAN interface of m0n0, so that I can
give a single static IP address to m0n0 instead of the router.

The problem I'm facing is that the service is given using a 1483 routed
protocol, which (correct me if I'm wrong) does not encapsulate the MAC
addresses of the interfaces involved in the routing. So, m0n0 has a public
IP address, a netmask and a gateway, which is the ISP router on the other
side of the adsl link.

If I enable the bridging, and assign the IP address to the WAN interface on
the m0n0 box, it cannot get the ethernet address of it's gateway.
arp -an shows that the gateway address as "incomplete".

I guess the gateway will not get the ethernet address of m0n0 either, since
the mac is not present in the protocol, as opposed to the 1483 bridged,
which includes the mac address.

I have tried several combinations of protocols, including spoofing the
ethernet address of the router on the m0n0 to no avail. I guess, I need a
fixed arp entry in mono, to point to the ethernet address of the ADSL
router, and.... on the other hand, I need to get the remote isp router to
hand me the packets destined to the m0n0 interface....

Anybody done something similar or perhaps has some ideas for me to try?

Thank you,
Dave.