[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Chris Olive <chris at technologEase dot com>
 Cc:  M0n0Wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall v1.0, Soekris net4511 wireless freezing?
 Date:  Mon, 3 May 2004 15:38:01 -0700
Chris Olive wrote:

> I know it's kinda lame to post without more concrete details, but I just
> thought I would poke around and see if anyone else has experienced their
> wireless interface suddenly freezing.

I posted several times about a similar problem with the Netgate kit in a
net4501.  Check the archives

I finally decided the problem was the Prism chip set is simple-minded
and sorta like a WinModem.  This means that much of the work (especially
in HostAP mode) is done in the interrupt handler, with interrupts disabled.

Eventually the non-kernel processes get starved for CPU time and things
get weird.

My fix was to set up traffic shaping, and insert a 50ms pause between
packets.  That seems ugly to me, but also seems to work.

I suspect a net4801 has enough horsepower that it wouldn't have the problem.

So, try the traffic shaping.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400