[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mine GO BOOM <mgb at minegoboom dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problems with Adelphia cable
 Date:  Mon, 03 May 2004 19:24:30 -0400
Hello,

  I use Adelphia's cable service for internet access. I currently use a
Linksys router for my service, but wanted to setup a dedicated firewall
with m0n0wall on an old 90mhz machine.

  I've gotten everything setup on the firewall so it works perfect on
the LAN side, and when connected to the Linksys router running under
DMZ, works like it should. Allows internet access, filters the correct
packets, traffic shaping looks good. But when I attempt to connect
directly to the cable modem (Motorola SB5100), both with normal MAC and
with spoofed MAC, it will not retrieve an IP while set with DHCP. If I
set to Static with the IP/Gateway that the Linksys router uses, it still
won't work.

  Any suggestions for how to resolve this problem? I really like
m0n0wall, but it defeats the purpose if I have to use a linksys router
in front of it.

-Ryan Murphy