[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Paul Rasmussen" <paura at rkl dot no>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Re: [m0n0wall] VoIP Conf
 Date:  Tue, 4 May 2004 08:16:43 +0200
> >>Alex -- are you using a VoIP software phone on your computer, or do
> >>you have an external VoIP box?
> >>
> >>Here are my rules which I'm using to good success with my
> Vonage VoIP
> >>box, which is "vox," below.  Let me know if you need to see
> an example
> >>of traffic shaping to increase the priority of VoIP
> traffic, I think
> >>I've got that sussed, as well.
> >>
> >>     <nat>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <external-port>69</external-port>
> >>            <target>vox</target>
> >>            <local-port>69</local-port>
> >>            <descr>VoIP</descr>
> >>        </rule>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <external-port>123</external-port>
> >>            <target>vox</target>
> >>            <local-port>123</local-port>
> >>            <descr>VoIP</descr>
> >>        </rule>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <external-port>4500</external-port>
> >>            <target>twowords</target>
> >>            <local-port>4500</local-port>
> >>            <descr>VPN traffic</descr>
> >>        </rule>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <external-port>5060-5063</external-port>
> >>            <target>vox</target>
> >>            <local-port>5060</local-port>
> >>            <descr>VoIP</descr>
> >>        </rule>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <external-port>10000-20000</external-port>
> >>            <target>vox</target>
> >>            <local-port>10000</local-port>
> >>            <descr>VoIP</descr>
> >>        </rule>
> >>     </nat>
> >>
> >>[...]
> >>
> >>     <filter>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <interface>wan</interface>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <source>
> >>                <any/>
> >>            </source>
> >>            <destination>
> >>                <address>vox</address>
> >>                <port>5060-5063</port>
> >>            </destination>
> >>            <descr>NAT VoIP</descr>
> >>        </rule>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <interface>wan</interface>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <source>
> >>                <any/>
> >>            </source>
> >>            <destination>
> >>                <address>vox</address>
> >>                <port>123</port>
> >>            </destination>
> >>            <descr>NAT VoIP</descr>
> >>        </rule>
> >>        <rule>
> >>            <interface>wan</interface>
> >>            <protocol>udp</protocol>
> >>            <source>
> >>                <any/>
> [...]

The Sipura is working fine with the default settings of m0n0wall but I'll
give this a try. The main problem is that the connection is closing and with
the receiving part loosing contact first. My voice fading away...
This is the reason for using m0n0wall and trying traffic shaping for the
first time. The problem is most likely the cable I'm connected to but I like
to test this before changing to adsl.
I have gone through the ones on the list but so far I am missing something.
So anyone who can give me some examples of traffic shaping rules please do.

Paul