[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "vwbug" <vwbug at sc dot rr dot com>
 To:  "Paul Rasmussen" <paura at rkl dot no>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Re: [m0n0wall] VoIP Conf
 Date:  Tue, 4 May 2004 17:29:44 -0400
One pipe. The bandwidth is set to approx 90% of tested upload capacity.
Two queues. One designated as High Priority with weight of 2, the other as
Low with weight of 1.
Two rules. One to send VoIP out the High Priority queue, one to send
everything else out the Low.

Comments;
Do not shape inbound traffic, unless you have some strange reason to do so.
The 2 to 1 weight works for me. Others recommend 90 to 10 or other ratios.
You can use an alias rather than the fixed IP. I was in a hurry.

The only time this rule impacts traffic appears to be during a phone call.
At all other times non-VoIP outbound traffic seems to be able to use the
entire bandwidth.
Until I implemented this shaping, outbound voice would be choppy to the
receiver if I simultaneously
performed large uploads. Now voice takes precedence and is crystal clear.
The queue weights can be fine-tuned using the graphing feature of the Beta
version. I have not taken the time.

Hope this helps. I use Vonage and M0n0wall, and I am well pleased with both.

Steve

- <shaper>
- <pipe>
  <bandwidth>315</bandwidth>