[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Joseph Lagreca" <lagreca at hotmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  IPSEC howto?
 Date:  Thu, 06 May 2004 12:41:31 -0700
I'm trying to setup a IPSEC VPN between two m0n0walls and have been
unsucessful.

I was wondering if there was a HOWTO written that might be able to help me.
If not, when I get this all figured out, I would like to write one, to help
people in the future.

I enabled IPSEC on both m0n0's, and setup a connection to each.  But I am
unable to ping the remote m0n0 by its internal IP address.  Do I need to add
a firewall rule or NAT fule for the VPN?

A few configurations I am not sure of:

For remote subnet on one m0n0 I have 192.168.1.0 / 24.  Is this the correct
way of showing a class C subnet on m0n0?

For the identifier I used My IP address.  Would it be better to use
something else?

The preshared key is the same on both m0n0's.

What is the VPN/IPSEC/Pre-shared keys section for if I can enter a preshared
key directly under the tunnel configuration?

Could it be possible my connection is setup correctly but cox.net is
blocking the ports necessary to create a VPN?

Thanks so much for your help.

Joe