[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  barry at unix dot co dot nz
 To:  Phill R Kenoyer <phill at bmg50 dot com>
 Cc:  'M0n0Wall' list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: wi1 dies after +- 9 - 11 days
 Date:  Fri, 7 May 2004 17:29:10 +1200
Quoting Phill R Kenoyer <phill at bmg50 dot com>:

> This really needs to be added to a FAQ somewhere on the m0n0 site.

Sure does.

> The reason this is happening is that someone connected to the m0n0box
> via wireless has their power save mode setting on their wireless card
> turned on.  This freaks out the HostAP drivers.  I'm getting it all the
> time because I run a WISP.  I hear that FreeBSD 5.x has a fix for this.

Why does this make a difference, is it a hostap issue? Must be someone within
range doing that, however I have power save turned off on my devices.

> It's even worse in Linux.  The hostAP drivers there will crash the
> kernel.

Hmm, then it must be a hostap issue.

> For my system, I have m0n0 logging to my logging server.  Then I have a
> script that check for the timeout keywords.  If 10 or more are found in
> the same minute it will email my cellphone.  I have to log into the
> m0n0wall box and reboot it.

Well when this happens to me, I loose connectivity and have to login via the
WAN. When doing so, I tried to ifconfig down the card and then back up, didnt
fix it. The card even said it was still associated.

Problem is when I do a reboot, my fbsd stops at book at the sio and si1
interface. Works fine from a cold boot, so if I could reboot from the interface
that would be great.

> Big pain in the ass really.  I'm currently working on a FreeBSD AP
> because m0n0wall really isn't a AP.

I'm running one m0n0wall where i get my wireless connectivity from my ISP, and
3 m0n0bsd box's. Havn't experianced any problems with m0n0bsd yet, can I
duplicate this issue with a powersave device switched on and attempting to
connect to my card.

Barry

This mail sent through UnixCo Webmail: http://www.unix.co.nz/