[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  thor <mythtv at lamedomainname dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  VOIP, pipes, and queues
 Date:  Fri, 07 May 2004 04:11:16 -0400
Installed m0n0wall earlier today in the hopes of solving some VoIP
problems. It's great software.

	One thing, however, is driving me crazy.

	I have an SDSL (384/384) connection with a VoIP (vonage) box (Motorola)
on it. Outgoing/upstream traffic shaping works perfectly.
Incoming/downstream shaping is making me pull my hair out.

	I can set up rules so that anything other than my VoIP adaptor is
constrained to a small pipe. It's actually amazing how well that works
(I can make, for example, a kernel download trickle in at any
arbitrarily small value). So if I set everything other than the VoIP
adaptor to use this constrained pipe, I always have enough spare
incoming bandwidth to hear the other side of VoIP calls perfectly.
Anyone who says incoming traffic shaping doesn't work clearly has not
tried this.

	But, of course, what I want to do is have that constraint only kick in
when there is VoIP traffic happening, not all the time. I have tried
approximately 1,000,000,000 permutations of
IP/source-destination/weights/etc./etc. to try and make this happen in
queues.

	That is, set the incoming pipe to a reasonable number (200-300) and
have VoIP traffic swamp everything else when VoIP is going on. No go.

	I have tried 10 to 1. I have tried 80 to 20. I have tried 100 to 1.
Doing anything on a queue controlled pipe always lets other traffic
(http, ftp, whatever) seriously disrupt the sound quality of incoming
VoIP traffic.

	Any and all help greatly appreciated.

- thor