[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phill R Kenoyer <phill at bmg50 dot com>
 To:  barry at unix dot co dot nz
 Cc:  'M0n0Wall' list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: wi1 dies after +- 9 - 11 days
 Date:  Fri, 7 May 2004 06:44:10 -0700
On May 6, 2004, at 10:29 PM, barry at unix dot co dot nz wrote:

>> The reason this is happening is that someone connected to the m0n0box
>> via wireless has their power save mode setting on their wireless card
>> turned on.  This freaks out the HostAP drivers.  I'm getting it all
>> the
>> time because I run a WISP.  I hear that FreeBSD 5.x has a fix for
>> this.
>>

> Why does this make a difference, is it a hostap issue? Must be someone
> within
> range doing that, however I have power save turned off on my devices.

HostAP has bugs.

>> For my system, I have m0n0 logging to my logging server.  Then I have
>> script that check for the timeout keywords.  If 10 or more are found
>> in
>> the same minute it will email my cellphone.  I have to log into the
>> m0n0wall box and reboot it.
>
> Well when this happens to me, I loose connectivity and have to login
> via the
> WAN. When doing so, I tried to ifconfig down the card and then back
> up, didnt
> fix it. The card even said it was still associated.

Yep, the wireless side goes kaput.

> Problem is when I do a reboot, my fbsd stops at book at the sio and si1
> interface. Works fine from a cold boot, so if I could reboot from the
> interface
> that would be great.

I used to get this problem on my main antenna tower.  If I rebooted
from the GUI it would hang on boot.  I didn't have my hardware grounded
properly.  When I bought it, it was in a plastic case.  I switched it
to a metal case and grounded it to my grounding rods.  Now when I can
reboot it from the GUI.

>> Big pain in the ass really.  I'm currently working on a FreeBSD AP
>> because m0n0wall really isn't a AP.
>
> I'm running one m0n0wall where i get my wireless connectivity from my
> ISP, and
> 3 m0n0bsd box's. Havn't experianced any problems with m0n0bsd yet, can
> duplicate this issue with a powersave device switched on and
> attempting to
> connect to my card.

If you have any MS Windows XP systems with radio cards in them, turn
off the power save mode.  Even if it says it's off, save that control
because it's really on.  It gets turned on after a MS update, I've
noticed.  The preferences says it's off, but it's really on.

To test it, you can turn it on and let your computer go to sleep.
Within a few minutes after the system is asleep, FreeBSD will be
blowing up with timeout error messages for the wireless card.

This only happens on the devices running HostAP mode.  I have two to
three wireless cards in my boxes, and only the HostAP side goes out.  I
can still connect to the other side. (relays)

Most people will suggest that you get a real AP and connect it to the
m0n0wall box.

Hope this helps.