[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "J. James" <icewalker at hotpop dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Banging my head to a (m0n0)wall i.e. "multiple IPs on WAN..."
 Date:  Sat, 08 May 2004 00:42:11 +0300
Hi

This question has been asked and answered many times in these archives,
but bear with me...

I have a static WAN IP  xx.xx.xx.194/29. So far so good. Now I want to add
another IP xx.xx.xx.195, so I added NAT -> Server NAT -> External IP
xx.xx.xx.195. Then I try to Diagnostics/Ping and xx.xx.xx.194 pings but
xx.xx.xx.195 doesn't.

OK - the next step: Manuel states
(http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=7&actionargs[]=79)
"No, you don't have to bind those addresses to your WAN interface. Just
use 1:1 NAT, it somehow just works. Call it magic. ;) No, seriously -
m0n0wall automatically binds 1:1 NATed WAN IPs to its WAN interface."

So... The next step is to delete Server NAT and to try NAT -> 1:1 ->
External Subnet -> xx.xx.xx.195/32 and internal subnet yy.yy.yy.11. The
situation is the same: xx.xx.xx.194 pings - xx.xx.xx.195 doesn't.

Plus I have tried every imaginable combination of these settings. I have
also rebooted the machine tens of time just to be sure that the new
settings are in use. I have also tried to allow ICMP in the rules just to
be on the safe side. No help. I have switched NICs (fxp0<->xl0). I have
also added Inbound NAT & firewall Rules and tried to access my web server
via xx.xx.xx.195 just to check if xx.xx.xx.195 doesn't ping but would
function otherwise. I have resetted to the defaults and tried to first add
1:1 NAt and then define the static IP for the WAN... I have spent three
days now reading old messages in this mail archive and I know that this
should be possible but I don't have the foggiest what I have done wrong.

Thank you for your patience. Would anyone please tell step-by-step how you
managed to add two or more IPs to the WAN?

And despite all that: thank you Manuel for the job well done. If m0nowall
wasn't such a well done piece of software I would have given up long ago.