[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason Grimm" <jason dot grimm at freedomlink dot net>
 To:  "Johan Bergquist" <johan dot bergquist at fredab dot se>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Kind of non m0n0wallquestion but a tricky one any way...
 Date:  Mon, 10 May 2004 10:36:12 -0400
I have done this on cisco with the 'helper address' command which changes
the broadcast dhcp traffic into a directed request to a specified IP.  This
worked quite well, single dhcp server, about 35 gre tunnelled locations all
with the requests forwarding over the tunnels.  I would think the relay
agent works the same way but you would probably have to have a server on
each side of the tunnel relaying to each other, or maybe just one on the
side requesting the addresses.  I can't recall off hand and don't have
access to my m0n0wall where I am at right now to see if there is a relay
agent setting on the m0n0wall dhcp option page.  If there is I would suspect
it would work in the same way of receiving the broadcast at the local subnet
and proxying that request, via a directed IP session, across the tunnel
(assuming the dhcp server IP is an address on the other side of the tunnel).
Not sure though, untested in my environment as of yet.

Just my .02,

Jason Grimm