[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Eric Shorkey" <eshorkey at commonpointservices dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Kind of non m0n0wallquestion but a tricky one any way...
 Date:  Mon, 10 May 2004 11:56:44 -0400
DHCP relay agents are systems that are on the same network segment as the
dhcp client that is requesting a lease. They then relay that request to a
specified dhcp server as a network routable request (since dhcp request
packets are not normally routable). When they recieve the response, they
simply forward it back to the dhcp client that made the request.

So if you plan on using a dhcp server over an ipsec tunnel, you'll need a
local machine to act as the dhcp relay. Consequently, it usually makes dhcp
relays not so useful.