[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tony Pitman <tony at shatalmic dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  bandwidth limiting
 Date:  Mon, 10 May 2004 19:18:47 -0600
I am not totally clear on the Traffic Shaper in m0n0wall. I searched the
archive and didn't really get an answer to my question so here goes:

I have a T1 that m0n0wall is managing.

I have over 100 users on the ethernet sharing the T1.

I would like to limit the MAX amount of bandwidth that a single user can
use to be 128k FOR EACH USER.

I don't want to have to create a pipe for EACH user (based on IP address).

Can I simply set up one pipe and then make a rule for the sub class of IP
addresses and point them all to the same pipe?

My understanding of most bandwidth products is that if you point more than
one IP address to a single pipe, they share the pipe (so 10 users all using
the same 128k pipe at the same time would each only get 12.8k)

This is hard to explain. I hope I am making sense.

Here is an example:

If I assign all 100 user to be limited to 128k and only 2 of them are using
the T1 I want them BOTH to each get their own 128k.

If I create a single pipe with a bandwidth of 128k do I:

A) create a 2 pipe each with 128k and then create 2 rules, one for each IP
address and pointing to its OWN pipe?

B) create a single pipe with 128k and then create a single rule with a sub
net that includes both IP address?

C) create a single pipe with 128k and then create 2 rules BOTH pointing to
the SAME pipe?

D) some other configuration?

Thanks,

Tony Pitman