[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Eric Shorkey" <eshorkey at commonpointservices dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, "Tony Pitman" <tony at shatalmic dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] bandwidth limiting
 Date:  Mon, 10 May 2004 21:46:32 -0400
All you need to do is create one pipe with a 128k limit. Within the pipe
configuration, set the mask to source or destination. (If you're limiting
incoming bandwith, set it to destination. If you're limiting outgoing, set
it to source.)
Then create the rule(s) that use the appropriate pipe. m0n0wall will then
limit each user's bandwidth individually, based on the pipe mask. So 100
users each get their own 128k slice of bandwidth, and are never allowed to
use more.

With T1's and a bunch of users, your best bet is probably not using pipes,
but using queues instead. A queue allows you to prioritize your available
bandwidth, rather than simply capping it. So if only a single user is using
the bandwidth at any time, they get the whole pipe to themselves. As users
start using up the available bandwidth, the queue will ensure that every
user gets their share of time based on the weights you give. If everyone
gets the same slice of time, then you only need 1 queue, and you just set
it's weight to 1, or whatever the default is. Queues let you prioritize the
traffic of particular users. In your case, you probably don't care about
that feature, but the benefit of letting each user have as much bandwidth as
is available is probably a good idea. Overall, your users will get more done
as files will transfer as fast as possible, but only when there is enough
bandwidth to go around.