[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Tony Pitman <tony at shatalmic dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] bandwidth limiting
 Date:  Tue, 11 May 2004 13:04:47 +0800 (MYT)
On Mon, 10 May 2004, Tony Pitman wrote:

> I have a T1 that m0n0wall is managing.
>
> I have over 100 users on the ethernet sharing the T1.
>
> I would like to limit the MAX amount of bandwidth that a single user can
> use to be 128k FOR EACH USER.
>
> I don't want to have to create a pipe for EACH user (based on IP address).

create a pipe with a bandwidth of 128kbps and select source as the mask
for it. then, let your entire subnet use that pipe by creating an outbound
rule.  each host will get a dynamic pipe created for it with 128kbps
bandwidth for outgoing bandwidth.

as has been discussed here many times, you wont get much performance boost
by trying to shape incoming traffic. instead, it could make things worse.