[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Tony Pitman <tony at shatalmic dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] bandwidth limiting
 Date:  Tue, 11 May 2004 14:19:58 +0800 (MYT)
On Mon, 10 May 2004, Tony Pitman wrote:

> Well, it is the incoming traffic that is going to be the big problem. I
> need to be able to limit how much bandwidth someone can use for
> downloading and web browsing. Please expand (without rehashing too much
> as you indicated) on what you mean.

incoming traffic reaches your m0n0wall before it can be shaped. if it's
reached your m0n0wall, it's already put a load on your incoming T1, thus
serving no useful purpose in reality.

however, since you have dual interfaces, you can set outbound traffic
shaping on your wan link and outbound shaping on your lan link. the
outbound on your lan should be equivalent to the inbound on your wan, and
under your control.