[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Fred Weston <fred dot weston at daytonawan dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Kind of non m0n0wallquestion but a tricky one anyway...
 Date:  Tue, 11 May 2004 02:38:57 -0400
Johan Bergquist wrote:

>The point being is that I want to use a bootp and boot Terminal Services
>over VPN/IPSEC... Or any other system for that matter.
>We have a few costumers that is using our Terminal Servers and I would like
>to minimize the impact on us when a user downloads something and craps out
>the whole system... Does anyone think that this is doable?

I'm kinda jumping in the middle here, but... you don't need to use DHCP
relay in order to do a BOOTP boot.  AFAIK, as long as the local (as in
the remote LAN) DHCP server passes a BOOTP server address the client
should be able to boot from it, regardless of whether or not it's on the
same network.  I think it would be great if m0n0wall had a DHCP relay
agent, lots of other firewalls have that feature and I find that it
greatly simplifies DHCP management when you have multiple remote
networks using DHCP.