[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mine GO BOOM <mgb at minegoboom dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] bandwidth limiting
 Date:  Tue, 11 May 2004 11:39:36 -0400
This man is true. With the TCP/IP protocol, the sender won't keep
sending as much packets as it can. It will only send a few, and wait for
the ACKs to come back. If you limit your T1 connect down to a 128k
bandwidth pipe via m0n0wall, the sender will sense the speed of this
client and only send as much data as the user can receive at a time.

Think of it like this. Someone is hosting some files on a huge pipe (>>
10mbps) and someone downloads this from their 56k modem. The server
doesn't send that file constantly at its peak speed. It senses that if
it sends it faster than 5Kb/s, it won't get all the ACKs back. If it
sends it less than 5Kb/s, it gets everything always back. So it averages
itself out to 5Kb/s automatically.

This is why the TCP/IP protocol is very nice for lots of reliable,
sequential data like files. So I'd recommend setting both the incoming
and outgoing speeds to 128k like you originally wanted. This will limit
each person's bandwidth without effecting the whole T1 pipe.

-Murphy