[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  =?iso-8859-1?q?Jose=20Iadicicco?= <joseiadicicco at yahoo dot com>
 To:  eshorkey at commonpointservices dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  [m0n0wall] bandwidth limiting
 Date:  Tue, 11 May 2004 13:31:35 -0300 (ART)
Dear Eric:
You wrote in reference to traffic shaping:

>> All you need to do is create one pipe with a 128k limit. Within the
>> pipe
>> configuration, set the mask to source or destination. (If you're
>> limiting
>> incoming bandwith, set it to destination. If you're limiting
>> outgoing, set
>> it to source.)
>> Then create the rule(s) that use the appropriate pipe. m0n0wall will
>> then
>> limit each user's bandwidth individually, based on the pipe mask. So
>> 100
>> users each get their own 128k slice of bandwidth, and are never
>> allowed to
>> use more.
>>
>> With T1's and a bunch of users, your best bet is probably not using
>> pipes,
>> but using queues instead. A queue allows you to prioritize your
>> available
>> bandwidth, rather than simply capping it. So if only a single user is
>> using
>> the bandwidth at any time, they get the whole pipe to themselves. As
>> users
>> start using up the available bandwidth, the queue will ensure that
>> every
>> user gets their share of time based on the weights you give. If
>> everyone
>> gets the same slice of time, then you only need 1 queue, and you just
>> set
>> it's weight to 1, or whatever the default is. Queues let you
>> prioritize the
>> traffic of particular users. In your case, you probably don't care
>> about
>> that feature, but the benefit of letting each user have as much
>> bandwidth as
>> is available is probably a good idea. Overall, your users will get
>> more done
>> as files will transfer as fast as possible, but only when there is
>> enough
>> bandwidth to go around.

I am sharing an ADSL 512 Kbits downstream, 128 Kbits upstream between 12 users, limiting the
bandwidth with pipes to 64 Kbits Downstream and 32 Kbits Upstream per user.
I would like to do a dinamic bandwidth sharing, in that way that when just 1 user is using the
connection, it could take all the available bandwidth, and when there are more users, the
bandwidth would share between them.
I think its possible with queues, but I dont know how must I configure the traffic shaper.
On other way, what happen when one of this users opens a P2P program like kazaa, emule, etc?
I dont want that one user could take all the available bandwith when others users try to use it.

Please help me to solve this problem!!
Thanks to all you friends!!

Jose

=====
El objetivo escencial del correr es probar los limites de la voluntad humana...

http://autos.yahoo.com.ar