[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP on OPTional interfaces
 Date:  Wed, 12 May 2004 07:56:07 +1000
Hi Brian,

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 22:37, Brian wrote:
> > Hi Mauricio,
> >
> > On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 09:08, Ventas ArTekShop.com.ar wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've seen it's not possible to set the OPT interfaces with DHCP using
> >> the interface... Is it possible to do it in any other way?
> >
> > DHCP works fine on OPT1 - just choose the right tab, and away you go!
> >
> > The only un-fine thing is if you use "DNS Forwarder" which badly breaks
> > DNS resolution on DHCP-assigned machines on OPT1.
>
> I'm fairly certain he meant *obtaining* an IP via DHCP on the optional
> interfaces, as opposed to running a dhcpd behind one. At least I hope so,
> since that's also an issue I'd like to see resolved if possible. :)

Aahhh, I cannot see how this would be possible.  You have to manually
configure the interfaces in the m0n0wall to be on the networks you
require them on.  if the firewall received a DHCP-assigned address for
its interfaces, and should the address assigned to the OPT1 interface be
changed, then all machines on that network would likely not be able to
connect to the gateway as its IP is now different.

You have to manually assign the LAN IP on m0n0wall, and you have to
manually assign the OPT1 IP on m0n0wall.  Having these DHCP assigned
would not only be asking for trouble, but you'd need another box that
could provide DHCP on each network (one on LAN and another on OPT1)
unless the two interfaces were bridged.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/