[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian" <mono at ricerage dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP on OPTional interfaces
 Date:  Tue, 11 May 2004 18:43:42 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Hilton,

> Hi Brian,
>
> On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 22:37, Brian wrote:
>> > Hi Mauricio,

>> > DHCP works fine on OPT1 - just choose the right tab, and away you go!
>> >
>> > The only un-fine thing is if you use "DNS Forwarder" which badly
>> breaks
>> > DNS resolution on DHCP-assigned machines on OPT1.
>>
>> I'm fairly certain he meant *obtaining* an IP via DHCP on the optional
>> interfaces, as opposed to running a dhcpd behind one. At least I hope
>> so,
>> since that's also an issue I'd like to see resolved if possible. :)
>
> Aahhh, I cannot see how this would be possible.  You have to manually
> configure the interfaces in the m0n0wall to be on the networks you
> require them on.  if the firewall received a DHCP-assigned address for
> its interfaces, and should the address assigned to the OPT1 interface be
> changed, then all machines on that network would likely not be able to
> connect to the gateway as its IP is now different.
>
> You have to manually assign the LAN IP on m0n0wall, and you have to
> manually assign the OPT1 IP on m0n0wall.  Having these DHCP assigned
> would not only be asking for trouble, but you'd need another box that
> could provide DHCP on each network (one on LAN and another on OPT1)
> unless the two interfaces were bridged.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Hilton Travis                   Phone: +61-(0)7-3343-3889
> Manager, Quark AudioVisual      Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
>          Quark Computers         http://www.QuarkAV.com/
> (Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.net/
>
> Open Source Projects:		http://www.ares-desktop.org/
> 				http://www.mamboband.org/
>
> Non Linear Video Editing Solutions & Digital Audio Workstations
>  Network Administration, SmoothWall Firewalls, NOD32 AntiVirus
>   Conference and Seminar AudioVisual Production and Recording
>
> War doesn't determine who is right. War determines who is left.

I probably should have snipped away some of the above, but c'est la vie.

Let me explain myself a bit, so we're on the same page. I'm stuck with a
cable provider that refuses to hand out static IPs, and my only option is
to grab them via DHCP. As silly as it sounds, what I'd really like is the
ability to define an interface as a WAN connection, and then choose the
seperate interface to NAT through (or perhaps bridge through a second, or
a plethora of other stupid things I might wish to do). Ask me for
clarification if you like; while this makes sense to me, I'm sure i'm not
being crystal clear.

To be quite honest, I don't see how this would be useful for many (most?
all?!) people. Its just one of those nutty things I'd like to have.
Originally I thought about somehow adding an alias to the WAN interface
instead of using a second NIC, but Manuel informed me that the dhcpd used
won't support (and rightly so) more than one DHCP lease on a single
interface.

In conclusion, I don't know what I want to do. Furthermore, I've
thoroughly confused myself. If you or anyone else has an idea of what I
might be talking about, please, your feedback is very welcome.

 Brian