[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Soekris 4501
 Date:  Thu, 13 May 2004 07:47:02 +1000
On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 06:24, John Andrunas wrote:
> The MA311 is a PCI 802.11b WiFi card by Netgear.  I am using in my m0n0
> right now, and it works great.  I guess I was not clear in my initial
> question.  I need to know if the MA311 is 3.3V or 5V.  I read that you
> can tell by the side that the slot on the PCI connector is on, but I
> don't know how accurate that really is.  I have read in the list-archive
> of people using the MA311 with Net4501's, but I have also read of people
> that it does not work with.

If you have a look at a PCI card with the slot cover to your left and
the PCI connector at the bottom of the card, then you can easily tell if
the card is a 3.3V, 5V or universal voltage (3.3V or 5V) card by looking
at the slot in the card's edge connector.

If there's only a slot aboot 9/16 inch (15 mm) from the left hand end of
the connector, then the card is a 3.3V card, if there's only a slot
aboot 9/16 inch (15 mm) from the right hand end of the connector, then
the card is a 5V card, and if there are two slots, then the card is a
universal card.

This will give you the voltage of the card, it will NOT help in
determining the power consumption of the card.  If you are going to be
using a PCI card in a Soekris box, I'd be using a 12VDC regulated power
supply to ensure that there's enough power being delivered to the
Soekris box.  (These boxes can accept a 9-12VDC external power source,
I'd run it at the upper end of this tolerance to ensure it all works
fine.)

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/