[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 To:  Bryan Kohlstedt <bkrosco at earthlink dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help With Rules
 Date:  Thu, 13 May 2004 13:49:25 +0200
Hi Bryan,

Bryan Kohlstedt wrote:

> I apologize in advance for this simple question. I want to make
> sure I'm doing things properly.
>
> First of all, I need to learn how to forward a port. Here's what I
> need 1 tcp and 1 udp forwarded from my wan to a ip on my lan. Lets
> say is tcp 1088 and udp 1088. Could someone please let me know how
> to do this.

For each port/proto (or range) you want to forward, you make an entry
on the NAT/Inbound page. Typical choices/values would be:

Interface: WAN
Ext. adr.: WAN
Protocol: (you can use TCP/UDP to do both your forwards at once)
Ext. port range: 1088 (leave second box blank for one port)
NAT IP: Enter you local host IP (or Alias).
Local port: Enter whatever port you use on the local host.

> The other thing I need to know is how to pass all http traffic to a
> host either in my lan or dmz. I know you can't just forward port 80
> as it could be on a different port. So, how do you tell it what
> port to forward?

As far as I know, you need to know the port(s) on which http traffic
is comming in, to forward them. (But since http always goes to the
port(s) you have configured in your server(s), it should be a simple
matter of making a rule like the one above for each port your servers
expose.)

> Finally, could someone let me know the best way to set up a ftp
> server behind a m0n0wall? I've seen conflicting stories as to
> whether passive or active is better.

Afraid I can't help you with this?

> Thanks again. I've seen a howto article on m0n0wall that was well
> written. Unfortuneatly, it was just the basic setup. I'd love to
> see a doc with example on how to do the more advanced setup of the
> m0n0. It's a bit more difficult for me than the sonicwalls I'm used
> to dealing with.

Yes, it would be nice. I guess the problem is that people don't have
the time. I hope to finde some time at some point to do some of the
manual chapters, but no luck so far :(

> Thanks, Bryan

My pleasure, hope you can use my suggestions.

Regards,

Adam.