[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Nellemann <adam at nellemann dot nu>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Host/Network Aliases .... Pretty Please
 Date:  Fri, 14 May 2004 01:24:35 +0200
David Rodgers wrote:

> Since we have all this cool stuff to look forward to any chance that some day
> we might see the host/network aliases that we create auto added to the drop
> down boxes for packet filter and nat rules so that there is no chance of
> screwing up when typing the aliases in the blue box.
>
> And then (sigh please don't hurt me) maybe a service definition section like
> the network aliases definitions that add to the services drop down box so you
> don't have to keep typing in port numbers for each rule if you are doing a
> lot of them.
>
> These are the only things that I personally thought this project lacked in the
> first place.

First of all, I think this has already been suggested by others and
myself.

That being said, I totally agree with you, these two features
(host/network aliases in drop downs whereever applicable and a list of
costum service aliases) would be the final touch to this great
product, and make life a lot easier for most, if not all, users of
m0n0wall.

In addition, I'd like to see more "blue boxes", as there are still a
few places where you have to enter IPs and networks manually. IMHO the
ideal would be if one could keep ALL IPs and networks (and custom
service ports) in the alias list(s), so as to ensure that these only
have to be changed in one single spot (would also make it easier to
use a script or program to make/modify/maintain the config.xml!)

Just my two cents (added to yours)

Adam.