[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rick Spence <rjspence at tampabay dot rr dot com>
 To:  christian at nyegaard dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How do you do this?
 Date:  Fri, 14 May 2004 22:58:34 -0400
On Friday 14 May 2004 10:32 pm, Christian Nyegaard wrote:
> This presumes the following:
>
> A) You are using the DHCP server function of the m0n0
> B) You have enabled the DNS Forwarder
>
> If you only have done B, you need to set your lan pc's up
> To use you m0n0's IP as their primary DNS server.
>
> Either way;
>
> When you add an override it will look like this:
>
> Host	Domain	IP
> Test	domain.com	192.168.0.123
>
> When you query your m0n0's dns forwarder for test.domain.com,
> It'll return 192.168.0.123. Example:
>
> C:\>nslookup test.domain.com
> Server:  gatekeeper.*********.net
> Address:  192.168.0.1
>
> Name:    test.domain.com
> Address:  192.168.0.123
>

> Say you have your mail server in a DMZ with the IP 192.168.1.2
> And it's called mail.fubar.foo.
>
> You should then enter mail as host, foobar.foo as domain
> And 192.168.1.2 as the ip adress.

Ah I see. This is why the forwarding wasn't working correctly. I had
server.mydomain.com entered. Thus it wouldn't resolve with mydomain.com or
www.mydomain.com. I did as you mentioned there with

> You should then enter mail as host, foobar.foo as domain
> And 192.168.1.2 as the ip adress.

and it works fine now. No need for host file manipulation. I added
www mydomain IP and this works as well.  Very well. Thank you for the
tutoring. So far just after a couple days with monowall, I am amazed.

Thank you for your help.
Rick Spence