[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Forward same port to severl computers
 Date:  Sun, 16 May 2004 07:46:27 +1000
Hi Christian,

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 20:04, Christian Hjalmarsson wrote:
> How to forward for ex. port 113 to both a computer at the DMZ network and to
> a computer on the LAN
> Now it works just to a computer at LAN network, and I need to enable it on
> the DMZ too
>
> How do I do that ??

You cannot do this.  This is not a m0n0wall limitation, but it is a
function of the TCP protocol that is impossible to achieve.

> I got an rule that forward to the lan computer end a NAT that tells it to go
> to the specific computer on LAN...

That is right - a single port can only be forwarded to a single place.
If your ISP has allocated you multiple external (WAN) IPs, then it is
easy - just assign all IPs to the WAN interface, and use m0n0wall to NAT
a different IP:Port pair to a different internal address (LAN or DMZ).

Basically, in TCP/IP, an IP Address:Port pair can only ever exist at one
place - kind of like a street address - "1 Monowall Way, Redmond" can
only result in the mailman delivering the mail to one place, not
multiple places.

> Hope you understand my problem

Yes, I understand your problem.  I hope you understand the reason you
cannot achieve this without having additional IP addresses from your
ISP.

--

Regards,

				http://www.mamboband.org/